Tuesday, March 4, 2014

{Pinned there, Done That} Crockpot Corned Beef , Potatoes, and Cabbage

I have been making Corned Beef for quite a few years (mom's recipe) with RAVE reviews. No joke, it was my late father-in-laws favorite meal... and if my mother-in-law catches wind that I'm making it, she will show up unannounced. So I was hesitant to try a new recipe; but since I've been looking for some new crockpot recipes due to our busy schedule I figured I'd give it a shot.

What I normally do is boil the corned beef in the given seasoning packet, then remove and bake at 350* for 15min covered in a dry mustard, brown sugar, ginger, and soy sauce glaze. Then let it set for 15 minutes. The glaze, I say, totally makes the recipe! WHich is probably why we enjoyed this recipe.... I removed the corned beef and baked it for 15 minutes with my glaze on it.

 I wasn't a HUGE fan of the carrots; maybe it's because I didn't use low-sodium chicken broth, but I thought they were a bit salty. Hubby, on the other hand, LOVED everything about it. Though he wouldn't tell me which recipe was better.
Crockpot Corned Beef, Potatoes, and Cabbage
In case recipe gets lost online. My changes are in red.
INGREDIENTS
1 (4 - 5 pound) corned beef, rinsed
1 medium head of cabbage, cut into 2-inch wedges
6 red potatoes, halved
4 carrots, cut into ½-inch chunks
1 medium onion, cut into ½-inch chunks
2 cups low sodium chicken stock or water
8 ounces beer (any unflavored kind will do; you can substitute water here, as well)
3 large bay leaves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper corns
3 T brown sugar
1.5T soy
1.5T dry mustard
1t dried ginger

DIRECTIONS
Place onions, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of a large slow cooker pot.

Rinse the corned beef and lay it over the vegetables. Add in bay leaves, pepper corns, and Dijon mustard.

Pour beer and stock over everything. Make sure liquid covers most of the corned beef; if not, add more water or stock. Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.

Add the cabbage to the slow cooker and cook until cabbage is just tender (about 30 minutes).

Remove Corned Beef and place on foil covered cookie sheet.

To make the glaze - Combine 3T brown sugar, 1.5 T soy, 1.5T dry mustard, 1t dried ginger.

Coat corned beef on all sides with the glaze mixture. Bake at 350* for 15 min. Let stand for 15 minutes

Plate beef and veggies.

Slice beef against the grain and serve with extra mustard.

Hope you enjoy it!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...